Friday, December 11, 2009

Final Paper

Last Thursday my dad and I were driving home from Viroqua. We had just dropped off my two nieces and were about halfway home. It was a blizzard outside. You couldn’t see a few feet in front of you and the snow was coming down really hard. My dad is an EMT and his pager went off regarding a bad accident that happened in a town up ahead of us.
As we came upon the accident a man standing on the road stopping traffic said that we could keep going and that there were no injuries. We continued to drive and saw the two trucks that had collided sitting on the side of the ride. We came upon another man on the road who stopped us saying that there were serious injuries. He asked us if we knew how to take care of injured people and my dad said that he was an EMT and I told the man that I was a CNA.
The snow continued to come down and I could barely see anything. It was really cold too. My dad pulled our jeep off into a ditch where a man with a broken leg was lying in the snow. He had no hat, no gloves and no blanket. I gave him my gloves because that’s all I could offer him.
My dad went over to one of the trucks where a man said two people were trapped in and they needed help getting out. I heard the man ask my dad if he needed any help getting the people out of the truck, so I raced over to help him. When I got up to the truck to help my dad get the people out, he told me to stay back because both people in the truck were dead. The two people in the truck that died was a father and a son. My heart sunk and I couldn’t get that image out of my head for days.
This accident made me look at things a lot differently. I feel that people should never take things for granted.

2 comments:

  1. Oh megan, I read about the father and son from viroqua's accident and read the obituary. I got a little teary eyed reading your post and it was sad. I thought you were very thoughtful when you offered your gloves to the injured in the ditch. What a horrible situation. I came upon an accident once but the people were injured but not deceased. I think you have a heart of flesh and will be great working with people. You have to have compassion to work with people, and i see that in you:)
    By the way I believe we have A & P together, yippee! Have a great break and God Bless You! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS SO SAD!!!!!!!!!!
    I was shocked when I read your paper. That is so terrible...I can't imagine seeing that

    ReplyDelete